[PlanetCCRMA] OT: RHFC2 installation bug

Wed Jul 7 11:20:02 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 08:37, Mikael Konttinen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried installing Fedora Core 2 instead as FC1 crashed constantly on my
> nForce 2 chipset. FC2 with Planet CCRMA 2.6.7 and ALSA seems to be
> stable and work fine with sound and network. Installed nVidia graphics
> drivers and they to seem to work, with hardware 3d acceleration and
> all.  But, a few questions...
>
> First, how do I install the sources for PCCRMA? I can't find a 2.6.7
> kernel source package with apt-shell search and do not succeed in
> extracting the planetccrma-core-2004.06.17-1.src.rpm properly.

You can manually get to all source packages here:
  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/

I have to fix access from apt for fc2 but there are always more
important things to do. And a never ending stream of them...

> Second, and more important for the moment. I was affected by the Fedora
> 2 installation hard disk allocation tables bug and can't recover my
> Windows XP into booting condition. I've tried switching disk access mode
> to LBA and even LARGE and followed the instructions on
> http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/ both with -H255 and -H240. No change no
> matter what I try.

Argh... very very sorry about this... I'm sorry to say that I don't have
any experience with the windows boot process. I do some (forced :-)
sysadmin work on my wife's computer but it is like magic sometimes,
follow the ritual or else :-)

Maybe some other Planet CCRMA dweller will know more...

Otherwise I would try posting in the fedora users (or developers) list.
It would seem that you are close to making everything work again.

I have added a small paragraph about this to the warning about FC2 in
the web site (will be online soon).

-- Fernando