[PlanetCCRMA] Muse - can't access RTC

Rohan Parkes abraxas@keypoint.com.au
Mon Jan 12 06:23:01 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 08:36, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:21:32PM +1100, Rohan wrote:
> > Whenever I try to start Muse, I always get
> >
> > "cannot open rtc clock /dev/rtc: Permission denied
> > Segmentation fault".
> >
> > It seems I can only run it as root.
> >
> > I can't see any information on the website, so can anyone suggest a
> > solution?
>
> This issue has been discussed on lmuse-developer@lists.sourceforge.net,
> but there was no resolution :(

I got a message from Crispin which doesn't seem to have mad it onto this
list, but which seems to have solved the problem:

su -
chmod a+r /dev/rtc

and if that doesn't work

chmod a+w /dev/rtc

and if you don't like the security implications of that (although I
don't know what they are), create an rtc group, give it access to
/dev/rtc and add yourself and other muse-users to it.  If you still
don't like that then I don't have an answer I'm afraid :(

--
Crispin

--
Rohan Parkes