[PlanetCCRMA] upgrading existing cdrom-iso install via http://... bad idea???

Fri Jan 9 11:37:02 2004

> i've backed up my current apt.conf and sources.list, downloaded the
> appropriate ones from the website "Configuring apt" section. note: i
> added my three RH9 cdroms in the sources.list, as they are apt-enabled.
> alright, or?

Yes, correct.

> now to where i did not dare to continue  :)  the actual upgrade. first
> an apt-get update, all the new pkglists were fetched. great. then i
> wanted to do the "Bring your hat up to date" step.
> apt-get dist-upgrade brings obviously alot of packages that will be
> updated, but this section gets me worried:
>
> =======
>   alsa-firmware alsa-kernel-2.4.20-24.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
> alsa-kernel-2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma fftw3 gtkmm2 imlib2
> kernel#2.4.20-24.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
>   kernel#2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ladcca031 libid3tag libmad libsigc++10
> midishare midishare-kernel-2.4.20-24.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
>   midishare-kernel-2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma raptor097 sndlib xosd
> 100 packages upgraded, 18 newly installed, 8 replaced, 0 removed and 0
> not upgraded.
> =======
>
> why does it want to install all these kernels?! at the moment i have
> the original RH9 kernel (not used) and the CCRMA-ll kernel installed.

Which ccrma kernel? Most probably there has been an update since you
first installed and that's why there's kernel related stuff in the
upgrade. To make sure you only get what you need you could do:

  apt-get install planetccrma-core
(if that is what you originally installed, to check do:
  rpm -q -a | grep planetccrma)

That should show whatever needs to be updated kernel-wise.

If you _don't_ want to upgrade the kernel (if it ain't broke don't fix
it - but beware if your machine is multi-user, there are bus fixed in
the latest kernels :-) you could comment out the "planetcore" line or
lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, do an apt-get update and try again with
the dist-upgrade. That should ommit all the kernel stuff.

-- Fernando