[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer step complete, but . . . .

tom poe tompoe@amihost.com
Thu Jan 8 21:10:03 2004

Woo!Hoo!  We're up and running.

So, I'm looking at alsamixer, and I'm thinking, wonder what this stuff
does?  I go and install gamix, bring it up, and instantly, I realize,
Oh, this is what I do with stereo equipment, adjust the sucker to play
pleasing sounds. . . . . Well, some of us are best at learning from the
whole, and others are best at learning from the parts.

Me, I feel better when I associate experiences.  So, this alsa to me, is
like a starter on a car.  If you don't hook up the right starter, the
car has to be cranked, or just not started.  Of course, you have to fine
tune it like a stereo, so you need alsamixer.  With that clumsy
awareness, I then set the stuff I recognized, like speaker and CD and
tone, then ran config and exited.  I then saved with /usr/sbin/alsactl
store.  Ran the canary1.wav file, was a happy camper, followed the other
thing about adding settings to chkconfig for startup, shut down the
computer, waited, then started the computer, and VOILA! We're there!

I will now move on, but at some point, if I come across what those other
thingys mean and what they do, I'll alert you.

I'll work with this rh8.0 for awhile, and when there are CD's for Fedora
to order, I'll try installing with Fedora.  I'm on a 56k modem, and it
was just pure luck I was able to get the kernel downloaded.  I didn't
see any choice for ordering it on a CD.  Is that right?

I ask, because as I go through this process with CCRMA, I want to think
in terms of what can happen in third world countries.  Later this year,
Open Studios hopes to have a Ms. Maria Begumisa from Kampala, Uganda,
arrive to orient and coordinate a strategy for placing a community-based
recording studio in every community in Uganda.  That's a pretty picture,
eh?  She'll act as the director for the project.  Our goal is to obtain,
ship, and distribute, and install and be operational across the country
within a one year timeframe.  We think we can do it.  What do you think?

So, many, many thanks for your kind assistance, all of you.  I'll be
back with more questions, I'm sure, especially, since I have been known
to indiscriminately click without paying attention.  And, when you have
no idea what you're doing, that can be dangerous.
Tom