[PlanetCCRMA] upgrading existing cdrom-iso install via http://... bad idea???

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 10:41:02 2004

hello all,

i now have an internet connection at my computer with RH9 Planet CCRMA,
and i would like to go ahead and bring it up to date.

i've backed up my current apt.conf and sources.list, downloaded the
appropriate ones from the website "Configuring apt" section. note: i
added my three RH9 cdroms in the sources.list, as they are apt-enabled.
alright, or?

now to where i did not dare to continue  :)  the actual upgrade. first
an apt-get update, all the new pkglists were fetched. great. then i
wanted to do the "Bring your hat up to date" step.
apt-get dist-upgrade brings obviously alot of packages that will be
updated, but this section gets me worried:

=======
  alsa-firmware alsa-kernel-2.4.20-24.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
alsa-kernel-2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma fftw3 gtkmm2 imlib2
kernel#2.4.20-24.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
  kernel#2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ladcca031 libid3tag libmad libsigc++10
midishare midishare-kernel-2.4.20-24.1.caps.rh90.ccrma
  midishare-kernel-2.4.23-1.ll.rh90.ccrma raptor097 sndlib xosd
100 packages upgraded, 18 newly installed, 8 replaced, 0 removed and 0
not upgraded.
=======

why does it want to install all these kernels?! at the moment i have
the original RH9 kernel (not used) and the CCRMA-ll kernel installed.

i did that as per instructions, like:
apt-get -o RPM::Install-Options::=--oldpackage install planetccrma-core

oh, and in apt-shell when i list unmet dependencies, i now get *alot*,
all involving kernels....

what am i doing wrong?? how should i proceed? i would not like to break
something that ain't broken yet  ;-)

any help appreciated, ALEX