[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer step complete, but . . . .

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu Jan 8 14:04:01 2004

> Wow.. :-) Glad to hear you got the canaries going :-) Now you'll have to
> cat-proof your speakers...

:-)

> Hmmm, I don't think those things are described anywhere. I may be wrong.

I don't think you are wrong, and I don't think they are described anywhere.

User friendly documentation is not generally on the list of things
developers really like to do... ;-)

> Each soundcard is different, even different versions of the same
> soundcard may have slightly different controls. The SBLive is (I think)
> more confusing than most because of the number of options it has.
>
> It _may_ (just may) be better to use a GUI mixer, I find it less
> confusing than the alsamixer ncurses interface. Try starting "gamix".
> Anyway, that will not solve the basic problem of knowing what each
> control does, although in most cases the names are self-explanatory.

This brings up a good subject, actually. What are the mixers that are
supported for each card? I don't think that's on the Alsa site anywhere, as
far as I know. For instance, alsamixer doesn't work (anymore) with the HDSP
9652, and possibly not with any of the HDSP line. It used to, but Thomas
decided to eliminate support when he released hdspmixer. Sensible, but
probably not documented anywhere, and for some people coming to the Planet
not always clear.

- Mark