[PlanetCCRMA] The results of my not so great tests

Wed Dec 29 19:55:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 15:46, fonse006 wrote:
>      I think that the easiest thing to say is that things are looking up for
> the 2.6 kernel version.  Currently I think that the most usable system is
> 2.6.10 (that is if you are willing to run all of your audio software as root,
> which is not a good idea as a bad bug could bring your system to its knees),

One clarification (pointed out be Lee Revell in the lau list) is that
the realtime-lsm kernel module patches cleanly against 2.6.10 final
(that's the module that enables you to run jack as a non-root user - as
opposed to the realtime preempt patches, which are part of the
experimental rdt kernels).

In fact, I'm writing this from my laptop running 2.6.10 + realtime-lsm,
and running jack as a non-root user. Very preliminary tests are looking
pretty good. Packages available tomorrow (for fc2/fc3), build going
right now...

Wow, this is moving fast!
-- Fernando