[PlanetCCRMA] New kernels & alsa drivers

Wed Sep 24 11:20:02 2003

> I'm thinking about upgrading the planetccrma-core and alsa-*. My current
> configuration is working, but not perfect, and I would like to test if
> things got better with the new stuff in place. Especially usb and
> m-audio quattro stuff.
>
> The problem is that I need a working configuration. If I would do, an
> apt-get dist-upgrade, how could I revert back to the previous kernel &
> drivers? Does the dist-upgrade keep the older kernels installed on my
> machine, or do I have to "dist-downgrade", how do I do that?

The old kernel and the old alsa-kernel packages should be left alone by
the upgrade.

> What happens if I download the rpms of the current versions I have
> installed, and then install them if something goes wrong? Does rpm whine
> about installing older packages? Will it break the apt system?

There are three components to the "downgrade":
  - the kernel
  - the alsa driver (kernel modules, driver, lib, utils, tools)
  - the virtual planetccrma-core packages
To downgrade you would have to have copies of the old rpms for all of
them. The kernel and the alsa kernel modules themselves will still be
there, I think (an upgrade of the kernel should not erase old kernels
at all). You will need to downgrade alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-utils
alsa-tools, alsa-lib-devel and alsa-lib-jack-plugin. To do that you
could "rpm -e --nodeps" them and then manually install the older packages.
You also need to do that with planetccrma-core. After that you can
take the "planetcore" repository out from sources.list so that the new
stuff there is ignored in the future...

Probably I should create a new repository for old stuff and keep them
around for a while...

-- Fernando