[PlanetCCRMA] Soundcard problems

Wed Sep 24 11:24:01 2003

> I'm new to CCRMA but not new to Linux. I am running Redhat 8.0 with a
> Sounblaster AWE64 card. I have followed the install instructions all the
> way up to the sound card configuration part. The new kernel boots up
> fine.

Is this the newest kernel? (released officially just yesterday).

> When I run alsaconf it seems to work (although there are some
> error messages that briefly flash on the screen). However, I don't hear
> any of the test sounds. My /etc/modules.conf file has been modified. If
> I try to manually start alsa sound it says it is already running. If I
> try to stop it I get a long list of devices that are busy (corresponding
> to the list of drivers in modules.conf).

Sounds to me like a kernel oops in the sound subsystem (ie: something
really bad happens when the devices are loaded and it is impossible to
unload them). Does the same thing happens after a reboot?

Look at the last lines of /var/log/messages to see if there is something
weird there (search for the word "Ooops").

> Bottom line is that I have no sound. When I look at the list of drivers
> being called in /etc/modules.conf, I can't find any of those drivers in
> /lib/modules/ . Do I need to go get these from some place?

If you installed planetccrma-core all the proper drivers should be there
(do a "rpm -q -a | grep alsa-kernel" to see if the kernel modules are
installed, you should see at least one rpm that has the kernel version
in its name). Could you show us the contents of /etc/modules.conf?

-- Fernando