[PlanetCCRMA] jackd

stsavola@mappi.helsinki.fi stsavola@mappi.helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 24 10:07:01 2003

Quoting Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>:

> Something weird happens with jack and mozilla and _some_ web pages. They
> don't load while jackd is running (through jackstart with -R). Very
> weird, mozilla stops and does nothing. Stop jack and the page finishes

When this has happened to me, it was because the web page currently being
loaded had a flash object which had sound. The flash plugin then tries to
open /dev/dsp (blocking until it gets it open). Mozilla keeps waiting for
the flash plugin to continue, which won't happen until the sound card has
been released by the software using it (jackd).

 Sampo Savolainen