[PlanetCCRMA] a bit of advice needed

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 01:28:01 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 05:16:02 -0700, Ryan G. wrote:
> What I'm looking for;

I'l comment on my dell 8100 - they dont make it anymore, and im not sure
how different the 8200 is.

> 1 - Compatibility, everything should work

Yup, everything works. I'd guess its the most supported linux laptop.

> 2 - Big screen, 15 inch or bigger

Yup, 16" 1600x1200 - great screen.

> 3 - Decent graphics (Ati vs. Nvidia vs. intel/sis?)

Mines a geforce 2 - i guess the new ones have better.

> 4 - Good design (I've been spoiled by owning mac laptops, all those
> stupid "internet buttons" and flashing led lights look like pure crap
> to me... I like a simple austere layout)

Its ugly, and weighs far too much. OTOH it has a really good keyboard.

> Judging from what I find on http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ seems like
> just about anything will work, but I'm overwhelmed with options so any
> feedback offered will be gratefully appreciated.

I think you can get most things to work as long as your prepared to hack
around a lot.

- Steve