[PlanetCCRMA] Almost Perfect System

Sun Nov 9 21:28:01 2003

> i can report the same problem, however for me it has to do with my USB
> cdburner. i reported this earlier this week, but it seems to have
> slipped by. so i repost:
>
> on both my laptop and desktop, the boot sequence gets stopped up by my
> USB cdwriter using the Planet 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 kernel. the halt point is
> the same reported above:
>
> Initializing firewire controller (ohci1394)     [OK]
>
> then freeze-o-matic.
>
> the normal redhat kernel with capabilties slows down at the same place
> in the boot sequence [just after the initialization of the firewire
> devices and just before the harddrive parameters are set] but then keep
> going. the ccrma kernel just freezes there.
>
> let me know if you would like to see any logs or something.

Probably won't help. Something is wrong or broken in the kernel (it
would seem). I would have to try to build a new more recent kernel, it
is in my list of things to do but I don't have the time right now.

Did you ever try commenting out the 1394 module alias in
/etc/modules.conf (so that the automatic initialization of 1394 does not
happen)?

-- Fernando