[PlanetCCRMA] Experience with USB sound devices ?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Nov 1 03:48:01 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:34:26PM +0100, Ekkehard Görlach wrote:
> Having Googled around I see that most people do not recommend USB
> devices primarily because of the increased latency involved. The USB
> Audiophile offers configuration of the latency to best match the
> systems performance (question off course is whether those settings can
> be read/set from a linux box).

That may be marketing spin - the USB devices we have encountered so far
work in 1ms time slices, which is very unlikely to "best match the
systems performance".

If you have a choice PCI seems like a much better option, most people are
only using USB because they have laptops.

- Steve