[PlanetCCRMA] Debug RPMs

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 9 02:02:01 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:21:39 -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> I have not done an install from scratch on 9, I did the redhat 9 build
> just before going on vacation. There was another report today with the
> same problem. I'll see if I can find a machine to do a trial install,
> hard to say how to fix it, seems like the behavior of rpm has changed
> (arghh!).

That reminds me, as of RH9 (rpm 4.3 IIRC) redhat are shipping debug RPMs*
for all/most of thier libraries, and the RH9 version of rpm will make a
debug RPM from a source RPM automagically.

Fernando, I know youre allready massivly overworked but if you could
make the debug RPMs available too that would be really great.

I only found out about this when I was compaining to a friend that you
couldn't do this and someone else overheard :)

* debug RPMs contain all the debugging symbols for libraries in a seperate
  file, gdb knows how to tie the extra stuff to the installed library,
  so you can get decent debug messages for stock libraries without having to
  rebuild everything and suffer performance hits or heisenbugs from having
  all the symbols kicking around :) this is the best thing ever.

- Steve