[PlanetCCRMA] 2 newbie questions

Wed Feb 26 14:55:02 2003

> 1)Zynaddsubfx was working for me until ver 1.0.7. I click on it now, get a
> little disk activity, then nothing, no process starts, nothing. I did the
> 1.0.8 update. Still nothing.Removed it using Synaptic, rebooted, installed
> 1.0.8. Nothing. Being a newbie to Linux, I have no idea how to troubleshoot
> this. Any help appreciated.

Strange. Do you see any messages in the terminal? Is the jack server
running? The current version of ZynAddSubFX is now 1.0.9 (not that it
will cure the problem :-)

> 2) Last time I updated alsa-driver-2.4.19-1.ll, apt installed the wrong
> version ( the i686 instead of the i386 ), so I did the recommended
> rpm -e --nodeps to erase it, downloaded the i386 rpm, and installed it with
> rpm -Uvh. Everything went fine. My question is: do I have to uninstall and
> reinstall everytime a new version is posted, or can I download the correct
> version and use rpm to update my existing version, or is there some way to
> get apt to update with the correct version?

I don't know why apt is not using the correct architecture. I'll try to
find out soon (before the next release). Of course you can always
download the new version manually and update it with rpm before running
apt-get for the rest.

-- Fernando