[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl when minimized

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Fri Aug 29 10:39:01 2003

> One little point I have been meaning to make for a while. Most probably
> the problems with latency that users were having with gnome and jack
> (and maybe also kde) was caused by the "/tmp" jack bug/feature. Gnome
> apps communicate through something in /tmp and so anything writing there
> had the potential of messing up the inner workings of jack (because
> jack's inter-process communication used pipes in /tmp by default).
>
> With the latest Planet CCRMA rpms the Jack IPC pipes are in RAM (tmpfs)
> so that anything happening in /tmp will not affect it.
>
> -- Fernando

This is a good point.

The other problem I had with KDE was that it wants to run arts, it wants to
create sounds, and it wants to check for audio CDs being put in drives. All
of this things required a bit of poking around to turn off so that they
didn't conflict with Jack and Alsa. I was guessing that Gnome was probably
similar?

None of that is unmanageable, but for some of us more Linux challenged
people it is at least a bit frustrating. ;-)

Fernando - if I don't say it enough, thanks for running such an amazing
service as the Planet. It makes life so easy! Heck, I can just try out Gnome
today, can't I? 'apt-get gnome'? Think I will in fact!

Cheers,
Mark