[PlanetCCRMA] midi

Christopher Vance christopher@nu.org
Mon Aug 25 17:00:03 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:50:57AM -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
: Hmmm, do you have a MIDI/gameport connector in the motherboard? The
: kernel sources will only tell you of what the OSS driver can do, not
: what ALSA will (not that it necessarily will support MIDI for that
: card).

There's definitely a DB15 there, and I already bought an adaptor
cable.

I wasn't sure if my problems were due to not turning things on
properly.  I'm new enough to this that driver error is not entirely
unlikely.  alsaconf didn't mention midi at all.  Nor did dmesg or
lspci.  (lspci did mention 0x300 as unknown, and I seem to remember
vaguely from ISA days that address was typically related to midi.)

: A Soundblaster 128 can be had for around $20 or less and it works fine
: for both audio and midi i/o. You will also need a MIDI adapter cable for
: the card (it does not come with one).

Okay.  Ta muchly.

--
Christopher Vance