[PlanetCCRMA] midi

Mon Aug 25 17:18:01 2003

> : Hmmm, do you have a MIDI/gameport connector in the motherboard? The
> : kernel sources will only tell you of what the OSS driver can do, not
> : what ALSA will (not that it necessarily will support MIDI for that
> : card).
>
> There's definitely a DB15 there, and I already bought an adaptor
> cable.
>
> I wasn't sure if my problems were due to not turning things on
> properly.  I'm new enough to this that driver error is not entirely
> unlikely.  alsaconf didn't mention midi at all.  Nor did dmesg or
> lspci.  (lspci did mention 0x300 as unknown, and I seem to remember
> vaguely from ISA days that address was typically related to midi.)

So, I assume that alsaconf did configure the SiS built-in soundcard
correctly. Does sound itself work? What do you see if you do a "ls -l
/proc/asound/"? And what does alsa report as devices it has "seen" when
started? You can see that through:
  cat /proc/asound/devices

It looks like your chipset is supported by alsa:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=SiS&card=&chip=ad1816a&module=intel8x0
So maybe it does work...
-- Fernando