[PlanetCCRMA] updates: another storm...

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Wed Aug 20 09:18:00 2003

> > Are we supposed to rename the copies of apt.conf and sources.list that
> > get installed with the update to apt? (I'm not sure if this is what you
> > mean when you say that no update to apt.conf is needed.)
>
> Sorry I was not completely clear. You do not need to do anything. The
> "new" copies of apt.conf and sources.list (that come with the rpm) are
> added to the /etc/apt directory with the ".rpmnew" suffix, the existing
> copies of both files are not touched.
>
> As the configuration has not changed you do not need to update them.
> -- Fernando

Fernando,
   I *think* the confusion arises (for me) more in the long term, when I
find these files 6 weeks from now and wonder if I've done something wrong.

1) Move *.rpmnew to *, overwriting the existing files with the new, but
identical files - This works

2) Delete *.rpmnew - This works

3) Leave the *.rpmnew files there - this works, but potentially causes
future confusion?

   Do I at least have the options correct?

Mark