[PlanetCCRMA] RH9 crash

Sampo Savolainen v2@iki.fi
Mon Aug 11 11:55:02 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 21:47, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > I'm running a Shuttle SB51G (Intel chipset, Intel i810 graphics), RedHat
> > 9 + PlanetCCRMA kernel. I am having strange crashes as X is starting up
> > after everything else has loaded at boot-time.
>
> Is this X crashing or the whole system crashing?

Oh. Sorry. Forgot... :)

The whole system crashes. Even the magic sysrq doesn't work. I have to
use the reset button.

> > It happens about once in
> > every four startups. I suspect it might have something to do with drm or
> > agpgart.
>
> Do you see anything relevant in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

I don't see anything in XFree86.0.log, the system crashes before
anything gets written on disk.

> > Could some of the patches applied to the kernel be behind this? I didn't
> > have these crashes while running pure RH9. I didn't use a pure RH9 for
> > long though...
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> You could try installing planetccrma-core-redhat (in addition to
> planetccrma-core) and trying the capabilities enabled RedHat kernel from
> Planet CCRMA. If the crashes go away then the problem is in 2.4.21...
> Hopefully fixed in the soon to be released 2.4.22. There have also been
> a couple of reports of problems with the nForce2 chipset.

I could try that. The bad thing is that the 'redhat' kernel is a bit
slow for my liking...

It's not a nForce2 chipset. It's an Intel 845G.

Do you have any idea when .22 is released? Will you include the new alsa
drivers (0.9.6)?

  Sampo Savolainen