[PlanetCCRMA] RH9 crash

Mon Aug 11 11:48:01 2003

> I'm running a Shuttle SB51G (Intel chipset, Intel i810 graphics), RedHat
> 9 + PlanetCCRMA kernel. I am having strange crashes as X is starting up
> after everything else has loaded at boot-time.

Is this X crashing or the whole system crashing?

> It happens about once in
> every four startups. I suspect it might have something to do with drm or
> agpgart.

Do you see anything relevant in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

> Could some of the patches applied to the kernel be behind this? I didn't
> have these crashes while running pure RH9. I didn't use a pure RH9 for
> long though...
>
> Any ideas?

You could try installing planetccrma-core-redhat (in addition to
planetccrma-core) and trying the capabilities enabled RedHat kernel from
Planet CCRMA. If the crashes go away then the problem is in 2.4.21...
Hopefully fixed in the soon to be released 2.4.22. There have also been
a couple of reports of problems with the nForce2 chipset.

-- Fernando