[PlanetCCRMA] Downloaded kernel 2.4.19-1.ll but having X window problems now

Sat Sep 14 20:22:01 2002

> Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I downloaded and
> installed the 2.4.19-1.ll kernel from planetccrma. When I went to load
> X  it wouldn't start. I guess because my video drivers were compiled
> with kernel 2.4.9-34, my previous kernel. I have a laptop with an Nvidia
> card. I tried compiling the Nvidia kernel driver when in 2.4.19-1.ll  with:
> make install -SYSINFO=/lib/modules/2.4.19-1.ll/build/include/linux
>  (where I assume the headers are ) but I couldn't get it to work. I also
> tried using the headers in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-1.ll/include/linux
> which I downloaded from kernel.org . Still no luck. Anyone have any
> thoughts on how I can get this kernel to work with my Nvidia drivers.

I don't know about the drivers themselves, but for any kernel driver you
want to compile you will need the kernel headers and source. They are
available as an rpm from Planet CCRMA. Just do a:

  apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.19-1.ll

That will install the sources and headers that match the new kernel.

If you need the configuration with which it was compiled you can find it
in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-1.ll/configs, copy the kernel-2.4.19-i686.config
file to .config and you should be fine.

-- Fernando