[PlanetCCRMA] acpi kernel reboot errors

Sun Sep 8 19:52:01 2002

> I have added the pci=noacpi as you have said.  It seems that there is a
> cache of the original failed boot process, because when I tried to reboot
> using the acpi kernel, it instantly went to the "PCI: using configuration
> type 1" line with out cycling through the preceding processes.  Hmmm...

I don't quite understand what actually happened. There should not be a
cache of anything, when you are at the grub level everything that happened
before (in the previous boot) is quite dead.

> To answer you question, it boots fine with the original RH 7.3 install I
> did yesterday.  When booting with this kernel, I noticed that the line
> after "PCI: using configuration type 1" was "PCI: Sharing IRQ5..."  This
> may or may not be important.  If I try the non-acpi planet kernel, then I
> assume that I have to go back and change the source.list and apt.conf
> files?  Oui?

Oui... only sources.list, and then do an apt-get update.

I've never done that, I think you might (or not) hit a gotcha with the
sound drivers, the ones that come with the acpi kernel are newer than the
ones that come with the normal kernel so you might get an error saying
that it cannot find the right rpm (just maybe). Let me know if that
happens, I'm trying to think what's the best way to fix it but it depends
on exactly how it complains.

> thanks for you patience

thanks for yours!
-- Fernando