[PlanetCCRMA] ACPI

Sun Sep 8 12:52:00 2002

> 	I am ccrmalizing my VAIO laptop.  I am assuming that I need to
> install the special kernel.  Do I download (I am running 7.3, not
> downloaded from the red planet but from RH, only yesterday) the
> source-list7.3.lap and then do what with it?  Sorry, I'm a newbie.  I am
> working line by line down the planetccrma site.  I'm a bit confused since
> it doesn't have a .rpm attached to it.  Thanks.

Hi Carr, good to see you trying to soft-land on Planet CCRMA... ;-)

Anyway, once you have the source list copied to the proper place
(/etc/apt/sources.list) and also apt.conf you can do an "apt-get update"
to see if you can contact the repository and everything is working. Then
you can just jump to the kernel install page (if you don't want to update
to the latest redhat updates first - that could take a long time, depends
on what kind of connection you have). I just noticed I did not add an
install incantation for the acpi enabled kernel, that would be:

apt-get install kernel-up#2.4.19-2.ll.acpi alsa-driver-2.4.19-2.ll.acpi
alsa-driver alsa-utils alsa-tools

That should get the kernel and matching alsa drivers. Which Vaio do you
have? It might not be necessary to use the special kernel but I guess it
does not hurt either. Most probably you are the second person to try the
acpi kernel (hmm, maybe the third). It works for me on a GRX...

Let us know how it works!
-- Fernando