[PlanetCCRMA] sound problems

Julia Fraile Arévalo info@parla.org
Mon Oct 14 14:26:01 2002

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C273D9.578E5B80

We are trying to complete the installation of the Planet packages on an =
Athlon +1800 pc, Soltek motherboard, but for some reason - probably a =
silly one, since we are new to Linux - we can=B4t get any sound output.
We have followed the installation instructions on the Planet homepage =
textually:
- Alsaconf finds the onboard soundcard, a VIA8233 without any trouble, =
and the /etc/modules.conf does not need any re-configuration, so it =
seems, anyway.
- No oss free drivers were installed during the Redhat 7.3 installation =
process, so apparently there is no need for unloading any oss free =
driver.
- alsasound is added to /sbin/chkconfig and the alsa driver starts at =
boot up without any problems
- The alsamixer is unmuted, volume is raised and the settings are saved =
using alsactl.
- We have checked the output using aplay to play a .wav file. Everything =
seems to work fine except that there is no audible sound output ..!

It=B4s not a matter of cable connection since sound output works fine in =
Windows XP, which is installed on another partition of the HD.

We welcome any suggestions that will get us a bit further. Thank you.

Kind regards from Denmark
Poul Pock-Steen
info@parla.org

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C273D9.578E5B80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>We&nbsp;are trying to&nbsp;complete the =
installation=20
of&nbsp;the Planet packages on&nbsp;an&nbsp;Athlon +1800&nbsp;pc, Soltek =

motherboard, but for some reason - probably a silly one, since we are =
new to=20
Linux -&nbsp;we can=B4t get any sound output.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>We have followed the installation instructions =
on the=20
Planet homepage textually:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>- Alsaconf finds the onboard soundcard, a =
VIA8233=20
without any trouble,&nbsp;and the /etc/modules.conf&nbsp;does =
not&nbsp;need any=20
re-configuration, so it seems, anyway.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>- No oss free drivers were installed during =
the Redhat=20
7.3 installation process, so apparently there is no =
need&nbsp;for&nbsp;unloading=20
any oss free driver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>- alsasound is added to /sbin/chkconfig and =
the alsa=20
driver starts at boot up without any problems</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>- The alsamixer is unmuted, volume is raised =
and the=20
settings are saved using alsactl.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>- We have checked the output using aplay to =
play a .wav=20
file. Everything seems to work fine except that there is no =
audible&nbsp;sound=20
output ..!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>It=B4s not a&nbsp;matter of cable connection =
since sound=20
output works fine in Windows XP, which is installed on another partition =
of the=20
HD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>We welcome any suggestions that will get us a =
bit=20
further. Thank you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Kind regards from Denmark</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Poul Pock-Steen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><A=20
href=3D"mailto:info@parla.org">info@parla.org</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HT=

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C273D9.578E5B80--