[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [Ardour-users] Ardour/jack totally broken on two systems now using jack 0.39.0...

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey@boosthardware.com
Fri Oct 11 09:33:01 2002

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Through the wonderful process of updating existing software, adding new
> software, and doing who knows what else, Ardour is now broken with new jack
> software. Here's what it looks like:
>
> Start jack using:
>
> jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100 -d Audigy
>
> jack appears to be version 0.39.0
>
> In a separate gnome-term I start ardour. The program starts, I then choose
> 'New', type in a bogus session name, and I get a message:
>
> [ERROR]: cannot activate JACK client
>
>    What's up with that? ;-)
>
>    Over the last few days I've added a number of things, including compiling
> jack from source code instead of using PlanetCCRMA to get a newer version.
> If I start jack using
>
> jackstart -R -d alsa -r 44100 -d Audigy
>
> jack appears to be 0.37.2
>
>    In this situation ardour works fine.
>
>    I'm a bit lost as to clean this up. It's probably a path problem being
> created by having jack from the Planet and jack from source code on the same
> system, or at least that's my guess. How should I clean this up?

I would remove all instaces of jack from your path /usr/lib /usr/include
  /usr/bin /usr/local/lib /usr/local/include /usr/local/bin

and then run make clean in the jack dir and start again from sh autogen.sh.

Only hten can you be absolutely sure that you have only one version of
jack in your system.