[PlanetCCRMA] jackstart hanging the system

Joseph Zitt jzitt@metatronpress.com
Tue Dec 31 09:30:03 2002

On 31 Dec 2002 05:46:57 -0800
Mark Knecht <markknecht@attbi.com> wrote:

> OK, but in my system jack seems to use about 220MB, or 4 times the
> amount of memory you even have.

Ouch.

> If you have it installed, run gtop and look at the second page. It
> gives a graphical representation of what's going on.
>
> You may just not have enough memory to run on this machine.
>
> http://www.crucial.com
>
> In a desktop machine $50 will solve this problem. In a laptop it's
> anybodies guess!

Looks like I'll need 3 64MB modules, which would take me up to the
laptop's maximum of 256 MB. About $100, which might be possible sometime
though not soon.

As I understand it, though, most of the apps that I'm looking to use
shouldn't need jack, so it may not be a show-stopper... assuming that I
can just get the USB Audio and Oxygen 8 to happily coexist.

--
| jzitt@josephzitt.com                      http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| GPG: A4224EFA                         http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |