[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA kernel - capaibilities

Sun Dec 29 18:05:02 2002

> low-latency operation as a normal user and how this made possible by
> using a kernel that has 'capabilities' enabled. He then stated that he
> thought your PlanetCCRMA kernel did this, and that your jackstart
> application utilizes capabilities to grant low-latency operation to
> other Jack apps. I wanted to check that this is true?

True.

> If I run jackstart
> as a user, and then start other jack applications like Ardour as a user,
> then do they all get this high level of control over the machine?

Yep. jackstart grants jackd the capabilities needed to run with realtime
priviledges and to give its client programs the same capabilities.

>    Assuming that it is true, I'm wondering how well the timing of MIDI
> Sequencers will survive in this environment? I am struggling through
> some really bad MIDI timing issues as I run Rosegarden as a user along
> side Ardour and jackstart.

I guess the jack part of Rosegarden will benefit. I'm not positive about
the midi timing. It depends on what timing source Rosegarden uses.
Rosegarden may need to be setuid root to be able to use high resolution
timers (if that is what it uses as a timing source) as a normal user.

-- Fernando