[PlanetCCRMA] apt-get conflict resolution suspect?

John Barnes john.barnes4@ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 24 00:43:01 2002

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>The history that comes to mind re the ppp conflict is that I have made a
>>--nodeps install of mppe, following the instructions at
>><http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-redhat-80.phtml>, which include
>>
>>rpm -Uvh --nodeps ppp-mppe-2.4.0-4.i386.rpm
>>

>Yup, that's it. Using "--nodeps" to install leaves the rpm database with
>unresolved dependencies and apt-get cannot work unless that is fixed
>(and that is good). The problem is how to resolve this.
>
>Well, I just downloaded the rpm and did some tests. First, you do not
>need to specify --nodeps to install it! The problem is that the virtual
>package they advertise ("ppp") does not include a version number and
>that triggers the problem with the kernel dependencies. I have a way to
>fix it. Download the source for ppp-mppe rpm and:
>
>- install it (rpm -Uvh ppp-mppe-2.4.0-4.src.rpm
>- cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
>- edit ppp-mppe.spec and change the line that says:
>Provides: ppp
>Provides: ppp = 2.4.0
>and change the release number from:
>Release: 4
>Release: 5
>(so that you can "upgrade" easily to the new version)
>- rebuild the rpm:
>  rpmbuild -ba ppp-mppe.spec
>- install the rebuilt rpm (you do _not_ need to specify --nodeps, even
>  with the original rpm):
>  rpm -Uvh ../RPMS/i386/ppp-mppe-2.4.0-5.i386.rpm
>- check things again with "apt-get check", you should be fine...
>
>If you are in contact with the guys that take care of this package you
>could give them feedback about this problem...
>
>-- Fernando

I have implemented your suggestions as above and can confirm that they
work for me. I now have a set of RPMs that APT is happy with, and a
working PPTP Client!

I've also copied James Cameron at hp.com, who wants comments on PPTP
Client installation problems, on the essentials of my problem and your
solution.

Thanks,
John