[PlanetCCRMA] Wine, Jack & fonts

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Sat Dec 28 05:38:02 2002

Hi,
   At first blush this may appear to be a bit off topic, but it's not
really my intention, and possibly someone here can point me in the right
direction. Thanks in advance.

   Chris Morgan announce a while back that the newest CVS of Wine now
has Jack support, so over the last week or so I've been attempting to
try it out. So far I can tell that Jack support is installed in Wine,
using qjackconnect, but I have not produced any sound. Many times Wine
or qjackconnect just crashes and I have to do a killall to move forward.

   Unfortunately, right now one of the biggest problem is getting
Windows apps that support audio to even install on my system. The
problem, according to one individual in the Wine Developer's group,
seems to be the lack of 'fixed-size' fonts.

   I'm wondering if anyone has:

1) Any pointers or tools for working with fonts under Linux. How can I
tell what fonts are installed? How can I tell what fonts an app is
looking for?

2) Does anyone have any good sites for acquiring fonts for Linux?

Thanks,
Mark