[PlanetCCRMA] jackstart hanging the system

Joseph Zitt jzitt@metatronpress.com
Tue Dec 24 16:35:02 2002

On 20 Dec 2002 17:47:45 -0800
Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> > I just have installed the Planet CCRMA packages and i have a problem
> > with Jack. When i try to run 'jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100'
> > my CPU and Memory usage goes to 100%. If I don't stop it, the
> > process hangs everything. Even a 'jackstart -h' do the same!
>
> Strange, I have not seen this happen before...

I'm now getting the something similar. After a reboot, ALSA appears to
be starting OK:

[root@gimel jzitt]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
[root@gimel jzitt]#

But jack hangs:

[root@gimel jzitt]# jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
jackd 0.41.1
Copyright 2001-2002 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
creating alsa driver ... hw|1024|2|44100|swmon
starting engine
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.074 msecs

I'm also still having the same error from lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0582:0006 Roland Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceClass            0 Interface
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0582 Roland Corp.
  idProduct          0x0006
  bcdDevice            1.10
  iManufacturer           1 Roland
  iProduct                2 UA-30 (44100Hz, Analog REC)
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
cannot get config descriptor 0, Connection timed out (110)
  Language IDs: (length=4)
     0409 English(US)

Does this suggest anything (other than what we could tell from my
earlier posts)?

--
| jzitt@josephzitt.com                      http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| GPG: A4224EFA                         http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |