[PlanetCCRMA] New MidiMan 2X2 Issues

Mon Dec 16 14:54:01 2002

>    I am seeing a pretty consistent problem that seems to be based around the
> use of the MidiMan 2X2 setup from the Planet. The problem goes like this:
>
> 1) I'm using this new HDSP 9652 + the MidiMan 2X2
>
> 2) If I cold boot with the 2X2 plugged in, maybe 1 out of 4 times the alsa
> layer doesn't come up at all. If I cold boot with the 2X2 disconnected it
> seems to always come up.

What usb related messages do you see in /var/log/messages? (or in
dmesg). Have you added "audio" and "usb-midi" to the hotplug blacklist?

> 3) If I've been in Linux and reboot with the 2X2 plugged in, then it appears
> that the HDSP gets installed most of the time, but often seems to come up as
> a second card. I'll see /dev/snd/pcmC1D0 instead of pcmC0D0.

You have to configure the modules.conf file for the second snd-usb-audio
card as well. What does your current modules.conf look like (the alsa
part).

>    None of this is catastrophic, but it's a pain. When it happens, I don't
> know how to fix things except for unplugging the 2X2 and rebooting again.
> Are there any instructions for how to start alsa by hand? Can I rmmod
> certain drivers and then insmod them by hand? Or preferably in a script?

The alsa startup and shutdown script is /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound. To
stop alsa type "/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop" (as root, of course),
to start it again type "/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start". This will
take care of starting all modules as specified in the alsa section of
modules.conf.

You can always start and stop modules by hand if you wish. For loading
modules you should always use modprobe, not insmod (because modprobe
takes care of dependencies).

-- Fernando