[PlanetCCRMA] updated: muse to 0.6.0pre5

Thu Dec 5 18:48:01 2002

> > While waiting for alsa compiles I got the newest version of muse
> > rebuilt. Now at version 0.6.0pre5...
>
> I guess I don't understand the first part (actually the previous
> post about trouble compiling alsa).  I didn't have any trouble with
> the latest cvs code a couple of nights ago; what sort of trouble are
> you having?

Alsa itself compiles fine. I'll try to explain. A file in /boot gets
generated at boot time that describes the type of kernel that is running
(/boot/kernel.h). That file is referenced from somewhere in the kernel
include files (I forget the exact location). If that file does not
correspond to the currently running kernel (for example the architecture
is wrong) then the wrong versioned symbols are referenced by the alsa
compile process and the resulting binary rpms do not work with the
kernel (because the versioning of the symbols is wrong).

/sbin/mkkerneldoth (part of the initscripts rpm, runs as part of
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit) assumes a certain format for the kernel name
(either kernel or kernel-smp or kernel-enterprise). My uniprocessor
kernel is named kernel-up (long story of why). Because of that, at boot
time the architecture of the kernel in /etc/kernel.h is always I686 even
if I boot a I386 kernel. So the generated alsa kernel modules do not
load... Of course if you boot into a i686 kernel then everything is fine
:-)

I should patch initscripts to recognize kernel-up as a valid kernel name
but for now I just hand tweaked /boot/kernel.h so that I could rebuild
alsa for the i386 architecture.

-- Fernando