[PlanetCCRMA] kernel and alsa source package issues

Steve Arnold sarnold@arnolds.dhs.org
Thu Dec 5 17:31:01 2002

Howdy:

Okay, here's my summary (i'll try to keep it concise).

1) The kernel-source rpm needs the ia64 header files added under:

/usr/src/linux/include/asm-ia64

Currently, only the asm-i386 header files are there.  Unless you
know of another way to get around that error...

2) The alsa-driver src.rpm files won't install on a custom kernel.
Your packages look for a CCRMA kernel name (and /lib/modules dir)
but if you build your own kernel, then you end up with this:

/lib/modules/2.4.19-2.ll.acpicustom

I'm still not sure why your alsa-driver tar file (inside the rpm)
won't unpack for me.  Even if I extract it manually, which always
works fine, if I try to un-bzip it, it croaks.  I guess if I did a
cvs checkout using the -D switch and your cvs date, then I could
have the retrieved the same code as in your package.  But I didn't
think about that until just now...

Here's the error:

   alsa-20020820.180035.tar.bz2:
bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
	Input file = alsa-20020820.180035.tar.bz2, output file =
alsa-20020820.180035.tar

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

bzip2: Deleting output file alsa-20020820.180035.tar, if it exists.

I suppose it could be an issue on my machine, but at this point I
don't see what it could be.  [break to test something]  Now this is
really weird.  I installed the alsa-driver src.rpms (both mine and
yours).  When I try to unzip the tarballs in the SOURCES dir, they
both fail with the above error.  If I go back to the alsa CVS dir
(which I retrieved the other night) and try zipping or unzipping any
of the packages created by your get-cvs script, they all work fine.
  Even the same one I put into my src.rpm (the same one that fails
after I extract it from the rpm).  What the hell is this?  Some kind
of rpm bug?

If you want, I'll send you the src.rpm I built from the current cvs
code.  I'm not sure what good it would do, but you can have it if
you want it.

The issue with the alsa-foo-xxx.src.rpms goes beyond tar file
corruption; we need a generic enough src.rpm file that will build on
both stock CCRMA binary kernels, as well as custom-built kernels.

I'm not enough of an rpm guru for this one, but it could probably be
done with apt-get.  I'll leave it up to you how best to solve the
alsa problem; the first one is easy.

Thanks for all the good work so far; I hope to have time to play
with the audio stuff soon...

Steve