hardware DSP Elective?

Julius Smith jos@w3k.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:08:27 -0800

Hi David,

I think that's an interesting idea, and I think we could make it work.  For
example, everyone interested in taking this elective could sign up for
Music 220D under my section number, and we could meet as a group to
brainstorm about all the various projects and help each other past hurdles.

I believe we already have a development system for the ADI SHARC platform,
and I assume we can get others, especially if we start now to obtain
them.  One question is how many people want to program in DSP assembly
language?  In my experience, the great majority of students are content
with C++ for real-time prototypes (with Matlab being used for a analysis
and design work).  I find it hard to believe that there would suddenly be 5
or 6 people wanting to work in DSP assembly language, but if I'm wrong, so
be it.  I have years of experience in this area myself, so there is no
problem supervising it from my point of view.

Let's get a firm number and try to secure the needed development
systems.   If purchase is required, we'll need to convince Chris Chafe to
spend the $.  I'm in favor!

Cheers,
Julius