hardware DSP Elective?

David Lowenfels dfl@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:31:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi Julius:
  Some of us MST people have been complaining that we have so much
coursework that we don't have much time for creative pursuits in personal
interests (aka research). I had this idea last night to create an
elective independent study, in audio DSP programming. Personally, I am
interested in implementing a virtual analog synthesizer, and others I am
sure are interested in making their own effects proccesors. Of course,
these algorithms can be prototyped in matlab, or run in linux as C++. But
for implementation there is nothing better than a dedicated DSP chip. Plus
I think experience working with a DSP chip would give me valuable skills
for the industry.

http://www.soundart-hot.com/english/index.htm

There is a very cool device called the Chameleon that is a development
platform for the motorola coldfire DSPs. I'd like to propose that CCRMA
purchase a few of these for general use. For talking with the MSTs, it
sounds like about 4  or 5 people are interested. It would be ideal to have
more than one Chameleon, so that people could . I wonder if we can get a CCRMA discount
or something, for better publicity for the company (Sound-Art)? I think I
may have a contact there, who is on a few mailing lists that I am on.

Let me know what you think about this idea.

Thanks,
David