[LAC-19] Notes from this morning's LAC-19 planning meeting

Romain Michon rmichon at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jan 11 12:21:27 PST 2019

Thanks, Matt! I will add to that that our next meeting will take place in
the seminar room on Jan. 23 @ 10am.

Cheers,

Romain

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:15 PM Matt Wright <matt at ccrma.stanford.edu>
wrote:

> LAC planning meeting 190111
>
> Music submissions need to be fit into the two concerts plus the club night
>
> Sat and Sun concerts are on Stage
> Monday club night will be in the courtyard, or in a TBD alternative in
> case of rain.
>
> Maybe just stereo or quad outside?
>
> Traditionally club night has been on multichannel systems, but not
> always.  Past few years have been stereo.
>
> Buy a bunch of big tents?  E.g., 10x30 foot party tent
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Gazebo-Canopy-Wedding-Removable/dp/B01M10GU0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547230547&sr=8-1&keywords=fdw+10x30
> Club night, drinking, dark - people will trip on guide wires and
> potentially bring down the flimsy tent.
>

> Renting something of that size is more expensive than buying it.  Music
> and the Brain tent rental cost $2500!!!
>
> A light rain is probably OK.  In a heavy rain...   And if it rains in
> advance of club night then it will be muddy
>
> We've booked BRH (and Campbell and Dink) for all 4 days.
>
> We have people pay a small fee for club night, perhaps $20-$25, then we
> cater something like BBQ.
>
> We used CoHo last time.  Nando liked it but Romain said a lot of people
> didn't. People want to be able to move a little bit.
>
> What about the Nuthouse?  NW has done events at bars in SF where it's a
> no-host private party from 9-11pm, with a bar tab minimum.
>
> How many people are we expecting?  About 100 people for the conference as
> a whole.  What percent will come to club night?  Romain thinks 80%-100%
> because booze, last night.
>
> If BRH then we'd cater pre-made food (not BBQ ourselves).  We could bring
> some projectors and do good lighting.  We can make it look nice.
>
> What about lighting in the courtyard?   Perhaps rent some lights from ELS
>
> https://lbre.stanford.edu/event-services/equipment-services/lighting
>

> Decided:  Courtyard, or in case of rain BRH.
>

> The problem is the lack of use of Linux (no pun intended)
>
> Round table:  The Lack of L in LAC
> Round table: AVB, future of Linux audio
>

> Specific pieces
>
> Turntables?  There are 1-2 in the SLOrk closet.  Matt might be willing to
> lend his own personal one
>

> Followup questions:
>

> Bruno:
> Scott Hewitt "Human Shredders" OK?
> Please add some SCLOrk pieces to make it about 30 minutes of SCLOrk
>

> Iannis Zannos's piece is borderline.  Ask him WTF
>
> Anybody with ambiguous tech or duration: please clarify
>
> Anybody with potential club piece: Are you OK with
>
> Anybody with an installation: are you good with the spaces we have?
>

> Next meeting practical matters:
>
> Sound system, microphones, coffee, ordering gear for installations.
> Streaming
> Putting the schedule together (since we'll know which papers will have
> been accepted)
>
> --
> CCRMA Technical Director
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~matt
> [...]

Romain Michon
Lecturer and Researcher
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford Universityhttps://ccrma.stanford.edu/~rmichon