[LAC-19] Notes from this morning's LAC-19 planning meeting

Matt Wright matt at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jan 11 12:15:20 PST 2019

LAC planning meeting 190111

Music submissions need to be fit into the two concerts plus the club night

Sat and Sun concerts are on Stage
Monday club night will be in the courtyard, or in a TBD alternative in case of rain.

Maybe just stereo or quad outside?

Traditionally club night has been on multichannel systems, but not always.  Past few years have been stereo.

Buy a bunch of big tents?  E.g., 10x30 foot party tent
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Gazebo-Canopy-Wedding-Removable/dp/B01M10GU0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547230547&sr=8-1&keywords=fdw+10x30
Club night, drinking, dark - people will trip on guide wires and potentially bring down the flimsy tent.

Renting something of that size is more expensive than buying it.  Music and the Brain tent rental cost $2500!!!

A light rain is probably OK.  In a heavy rain...   And if it rains in advance of club night then it will be muddy

We've booked BRH (and Campbell and Dink) for all 4 days.

We have people pay a small fee for club night, perhaps $20-$25, then we cater something like BBQ.

We used CoHo last time.  Nando liked it but Romain said a lot of people didn't. People want to be able to move a little bit.

What about the Nuthouse?  NW has done events at bars in SF where it's a no-host private party from 9-11pm, with a bar tab minimum.

How many people are we expecting?  About 100 people for the conference as a whole.  What percent will come to club night?  Romain thinks 80%-100% because booze, last night.

If BRH then we'd cater pre-made food (not BBQ ourselves).  We could bring some projectors and do good lighting.  We can make it look nice.

What about lighting in the courtyard?   Perhaps rent some lights from ELS

https://lbre.stanford.edu/event-services/equipment-services/lighting

Decided:  Courtyard, or in case of rain BRH.

The problem is the lack of use of Linux (no pun intended)

Round table:  The Lack of L in LAC
Round table: AVB, future of Linux audio

Specific pieces

Turntables?  There are 1-2 in the SLOrk closet.  Matt might be willing to lend his own personal one

Followup questions:

Bruno:
	Scott Hewitt "Human Shredders" OK?
	Please add some SCLOrk pieces to make it about 30 minutes of SCLOrk

Iannis Zannos's piece is borderline.  Ask him WTF

Anybody with ambiguous tech or duration: please clarify

Anybody with potential club piece: Are you OK with

Anybody with an installation: are you good with the spaces we have?

Next meeting practical matters:

Sound system, microphones, coffee, ordering gear for installations.
Streaming
Putting the schedule together (since we'll know which papers will have been accepted)

--
CCRMA Technical Director
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~matt