[LAC-19] Thank you all for a great LAC19

Thu Aug 15 22:39:01 PDT 2019

On 8/14/19 2:55 PM, Constantin Basica wrote:
> Awesome, great job, Carlos!

Yup, great it is out! They look fantastic, thanks to all involved!
(Carlos, Dave, the staff at Dink, etc)

> I’d like to also add the links for the audio recordings from the concerts. Fernando, should we still upload any Ambisonics encoder next to the files?

There are a couple of options for this...

The easiest would be to encode the recordings to (2nd order) B format
and distribute that. Potential listeners would have to find a plugin or
system to play them (that can play B format Ambisonics). We could also
render some stereo or binaural version as well - but what to use or what
to do in that case is less clear.

I'm working on a better encoder, of course, always doing that... (not
very successfully :-)

Which bring us to another option, which would, as you state, to post the
A format files (capsule feeds) and a "current encoder". It would seem to
me that is unnecessarily complicated, only a few geeks would go to that
much trouble. The only advantage being then when I have a better encoder
I could post that.

Even geekier: I could also post a full measurement set, so that even
geekier individuals would actually create their own better A to B
encoders... And then use those to encode the files, and then listen to a
glorius individual rendering of the pieces. But that would be probably 0
geeks...

B format plus some stereo rendering (suggestions welcome[*]) seems best.
-- Fernando

[*] easiest would be just a pair of front facing cardioids, or perhaps a
pair of figure of eight to get the back as well - many pieces were 3d.
Binaural is trickier, which renderer, which preset, all compromises.