[Grads] CCRMA New Student Orientation Sept. 12, noon

Nette Worthey networth at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Sep 11 14:52:15 PDT 2020

Hello all!

Greetings from super smoky Menlo Park. I am happy to send you the (still subject to change) agenda for our new student orientation tomorrow, starting at noon. For continuing students: you are most welcome to attend, but it is certainly not requisite. For new students: attending this will be most informative, and we hope helpful to get you all on board for the start of your graduate career at CCRMA.

At this time, we are not planning to record the meeting, however if there is need we definitely will consider doing so, but we very much want everyone to feel themselves and comfortable asking any questions they have. Please let me know your thoughts, if you’d like.

Zoom meeting info is below the agenda. Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

Nette

> User's Guide to CCRMA – Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020
>
> 12:00-12:15
>
> Welcome – Chris Chafe
>
> Dept Chair – Stephen Hinton
>
> Peer Mentoring - Doga Cavdir, Blair Kaneshiro, Hanyu Qu
>
> 12:15
>
> Overview of CCRMA online resources:
>
>             • CCRMA user accounts – NW, MW, FLL
>
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/docs/system/CCRMA-user-account.html <https://ccrma.stanford.edu/docs/system/CCRMA-user-account.html>
>                         • “Code of conduct” - CCRMA userguides
>
>             • Wikis - MW
>
>             • CCRMA profile vs. CCRMA home directory – MW, FLL
>
>             • Documentation - MW
>
> Course schedule for the year – NW
>

> Overview of grading basis, units required, course numbers (100+, 200+)
>
> Administrivia – NW
>
>             • “Conference” funding
>
>             • MA Program Proposal
>
>             • PhDs: Debbie  Barney is your person! I’m happy to help, but she’s the expert
>
> 12:45
>

> Linux tutorial (MW, FLL)
>
>             • FLOSS
>
>             • Quick command line overview
>
>             • SSH/Remote login instruction
>
>             • X forwarding over ssh
>
> Zoom overview (MW)
>
> • Scheduling meetings through stanford.zoom
>
> • Quick overview of settings for creating a meeting
>
> • Usually stay muted.  Point to your ear if you can’t hear someone.
>
> • Hosts and co-hosts
>
> • Screen sharing and sound sharing
>
> • Sound settings
>
> • Annotation
>
> TIME PERMITTING: Very quick pointer to some of the Stanford-wide computing resources: Zoom, stanfordwho, stanfordyou, STARS, Matlab, library proxies, Slack
>
> 1:00 BREAK
>
> 1:15-2:15
>
> Virtual facility walkthrough (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/docs/rooms.html <https://ccrma.stanford.edu/docs/rooms.html>)
>
> • Executive summary of each space and a pointer for how one might begin to learn usage/earn access

Topic: CCRMA Orientation
Time: Sep 12, 2020 12:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://stanford.zoom.us/j/92788273041?pwd=SWRQTTBBZnJWRXQvNHdVc2IyZlMzUT09
    Password: 894013

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +18333021536,,92788273041# or +16507249799,,92788273041#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 650 724 9799 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll) or +1 833 302 1536 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll Free)

    Meeting ID: 927 8827 3041
    Password: 894013
    International numbers available: https://stanford.zoom.us/u/aHp48Ip2X

    Meeting ID: 927 8827 3041