[CM] compiling on OS X?

David Lowenfels david.lowenfels at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:39:09 PDT 2014

gtk+ is installed via homebrew (http://brew.sh)

I had to patch make-config-pc.rb to include -L#{CONFIG[“libdir”]}

$ diff tools/make-config-pc.rb tools/make-config-pc.new.rb
21a22
> rubylibdir = CONFIG["libdir"]
29c30
< Libs: #{dldflags} #{librubyarg} #{libs}
---
> Libs: -L#{rubylibdir} #{dldflags} #{librubyarg} #{libs}

then this did the trick:

$ ruby tools/make-config-pc.rb > ruby.pc
$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=.:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig/ ./configure --with-gtk --with-ruby --with-portaudio
$ make install

success! :)

next step would be for me to create a homebrew formula to automate installation for other people:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/wiki/Formula-Cookbook

thanks for your help.

-David