[CM] slippery chicken release

Michael Edwards michael.edwards at ed.ac.uk
Sun May 27 13:26:12 PDT 2012

> I think tinyclos will be slow -- I stopped using it in my standard tests
> because I got impatient.  But s7 has what I think is a really elegant
> "native" object system, but without the objects or the system!  I use

Hmm, that looks tempting.  Especially given that to include S7 in an
app all you have to do is include one C file and a header.

> environments, as before, but now (today) all the built-in functions know
> about this stuff -- I added an example in s7.html that adds quaternions
> to the numbers.  My timing tests indicate that this slows s7 down
> by less than 1% overall -- in most cases, there's no difference
> in speed.  All that CLOS syntactic boilerplate -- gone!  All those
> ugly type names like godforbid <integer> -- gone!  Even my
> cat is happy and he's a grouch.

:)  Does anyone know of a decent Lisp->Scheme translator?  Google
doesn't seem to cooperate.  Do you think it would be possible to
translate a highly object-oriented Lisp programme to Scheme without a
major rewrite and lots of headaches?  Do you think it's worth it?

Best, Michael