[CM] OSX 10.6 and motif

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Sep 22 15:17:01 PDT 2009

My old motif library no longer worked after upgrading to 10.6,
so in case anyone else has this problem, here's one path:

make sure you have XCode (you need to install it specially from the 10.6 disk).

I also had to get more RAM since the installer won't run if you have only
512 MBytes.

get openmotif 2.3.2 (from motifzone)

in .cshrc:
setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig
  # for Xft in the configure script (xft.pc)

in /usr/bin as root:
cp gnumake make
   # Apple screwed up the link from gnumake to make

in motif dir:
./configure CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/freetype2"
   # 'make' can't find freetype/config/ftheader.h

make
make install

in Snd dir:

./configure --with-motif-prefix=/usr/X11R6 --with-static-xm

  you'll get tons of dumb complaints:
     warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
  just ignore them...

./snd WorldHistoricalObjectiveCorrelative.snd