[CM] aif in Grace and CLM

Heinrich Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 28 05:09:23 PST 2009

hi charles!  in Grace the default audio file format is initialized  to
WAV because that format works everywhere. but in clm you can use any
format you want, you just need to specify the appropriate header and
data format values, which for AIFF would be  :header-type mus-aifc
and :data-format mus-bshort , respectively. so your example would look
something like:

(with-sound (:srate 44100  :header-type mus-aifc :data-format mus-
bshort :output "/Users/cnichols/Work/composition/playground/clm/
test.aif")
(grani 0 5 1 "/Users/cnichols/Work/composition/playground/clm/km1-
sicltttN.aif")
)

if you set up clm's  globals the way you want then you dont need to
specfiy these values each time you use with-sound:

(define *clm-file-name* "test.aif")
(define *clm-data-format* mus-aifc )
(define *clm-header-type* mus-bshort)
(define *clm-srate* 44100)

and now your example becomes more managable:

(with-sound (:output "/Users/cnichols/Work/composition/playground/clm/
test.aif")
(grani 0 5 1 "/Users/cnichols/Work/composition/playground/clm/km1-
sicltttN.aif")
)

If you look in Grace's  Audio Menu you will find a SndLib  submenu
where you can set preferneces like channels and srate.  The advantage
of a preference is that the app will boot up with those values in
effect so you dont ever need to set globals. but I see that my menu
doesn have a "default audio format" prefernce for saving AIFF vs WAV
vs SND settings. hmm this would only take  about 20 minutes to add so
ill do it today and post a message when you can download the beta app
with it working.