[CM] building cm3/Grace on linux

Heinrich Taube taube at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 29 05:10:29 PST 2009

> i am trying, with the current tarballs of cm and sndlib, to make cm3
> and Grace on linux. i noticed one unexpected issue: the cm build
> process looks for a file called 'sndlib.a' - but building sndlib
> only creates 'libsndlib.a' - i renamed the file, and the cm build
> continued and finally built executables.
>
> neither Grace nor cm can find midi ports, but i guess that's a known
> issue. sometime back in november, i used a cm3/s7 version that could
> see and talk to midi ports - what's changed since then?

i spent yesterday trying to figure out whats going wrong, including an
upgrade to the latest ubuntustudio to make sure my basic tools are
working.
in the new ubuntustudio environment am able to get  midi port
connections in grace but i still dont see any audio ports. i cant get
audio ports in the juce demo either, so ill have to post something on
the juce site i guess. i think there is also a thread issue on linux,
i see a "wait cursor" fairly regularity once i send midi messages.
the sndlib instruments are working and its is possible to write .wav
files but not play them back in the playback window. i can play the
audio files fine using an external app though.

on the plus side ive got s7/sndlib working in windows pretty well now
using the native ms compier, and the audio playback window is now
displaying the waveform now.