[CM] snd record with alsa

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 05:59:09 -0800

Thanks for the bug report!  I could have sworn I checked
that when I updated to FC8, but I must have forgotten.
One quick way to get the OSS side to work in the current
Snd is to add these lines to audio.c line 2662:

2662,2666d2660
<
<         if ((stereodevs == 0) && ((devmask & SOUND_MASK_VOLUME) == 0))
<           channels = 2;
<         else
<

For some reason, the ALSA/OSS emulator(?) is no longer returning the
information about the audio input device that I've relied on
for about 10 years.  I'll have to get the sources and look at the
ChangeLog, I guess.

You may also have to

  (set! (mus-alsa-device) "plughw:0")

I do this by default by having this line in my .cshrc file:

setenv MUS_ALSA_DEVICE "plughw:0"

As far as I can tell, the "default" device never works anymore, so
the audio.c alsa device should default to "plughw:0".

This change might also work in Snd 8.9 -- I'll check later.