[CM] snd: cannot set hardware parameters for default

Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:58:41 -0800

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 11:09 -0800, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> > My wish list for snd would include something like dropping the alsa
> > driver and using something else, higher level of course. What? Hmmm,
> > pulseaudio is being used in f8 but I know nothing about it. One idea
> > that occurred to me a while ago is to try to see if libecasound can be
>
> I just looked at pulseaudio and I can't see any gain from using it over
> Jack or ESD, but its simple synchronous API looks like it could be
> tied into Snd in about an hour (leaving aside the associated Autohell hackery
> of course).
>
> I looked at ecasound a while ago -- it's some sort of string-based
> command syntax that would not fit into Snd at all (sort of like
> embedding execlp calls on sndplay, but less understandable),
> and the docs seemed to be querulous -- somebody at ecasound
> was having a bad day, perhaps, but I got the strong impression
> that they didn't want anyone using it.
>
> One more complication: although audio.c works in OSS Version 4
> (thanks to Yair K. recently), OSS is obviously trying hard to be incompatible
> with Alsa's OSS emulation, so that slope is slippery.  I hate Linux audio.

Yeah... there have been noises on the lists lately about how alsa is bad
and oss is good - some coming obviously from oss developers, apparently
most users forget why alsa was created in the first place... or were not
there when it happened I guess (with its share of new problems, of
course).

-- Fernando