[CM] fm again

Juan I Reyes juanig at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:29:55 -0500

Thanks Bill, Peter, Charles Edgar, et al.

Needless to say I can't help but being very curious about the radio side
of FM. I remember John Chowning talking about the issue (Bessel
functions) but at the time, I should acknowledge, we only cared for
great sounds and neither radio nor its hardware.

The lambda (wavelength) Lisp connection is a great point which makes me
wonder about this happy coincidence, at least in the case of CLM and
SND. Not so sure John McCarthy thought Lisp will be used for FM. But if
I am not mistaken, he was around SAIL on the early days of FM
synthesis.

  --* Juan