[CM] translating spirals into music CLM

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:22:54 -0700

> Ok, does anyone have any insight on how/what I would use in CLM to send
> panning information to a 5 channel speaker system with a tweeter tree
> speaker sitting above the audience in the center of the room ?

If the individual notes are in one place, you could do something like:

(with-sound (:channels 5)
  (let ((loc (make-locsig :channels 4 :output *output*))
        (osc (make-oscil 440.0))
        (j 0))
    (run
      (lambda ()
        (do ((i 0 (1+ i)))
            ((= i 360))
          (do ((k 0 (1+ k)))
              ((= k 1000))
            (let ((sig (* .5 (oscil osc))))
              (locsig loc j sig)
              (out-any j sig 4 *output*)
              (set! j (1+ j))))
          (move-locsig loc (exact->inexact i) 1.0))))))

This sends out 360 notes a degree at a time -- locsig is used for the circle
in 4 chans, and the 5th chan is just out-any.  dlocsig can move a single
sound (panning, Doppler, etc).  I don't know how convincing this would be
with only 5 speakers.