[CM] translating spirals into music CLM

john henry dale johnhenrydale@gmail.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:17:00 -0400

------=_Part_3234_13393247.1184167020417

Hi,
This is a rather conceptual question, but I am interested in trying to
somehow represent the concept of a spiral in CLM. I figure this would
probably involve the golden ratio and fibonacci series number, but I am
stuck as to how to begin and how this "sound spiral" would actually sound.
This corresponds to my earlier question about just intonation, because
according to Alain Danielou ( in his book Music and the Power of Sound), the
circle of fifths originated from a "spiral of fifths", which was modified by
either slightly sharping or flatting certain notes to get equal temperament
for the pianoforte; just intonation, according to him, was a truer
representation of the "pure" musical intervals that occurred in nature, so
to speak. I guess my goal here is try to somehow represent the concept of
the spiral both melodically and rhythmically in CLM since this pattern seems
to inform so much of how of and why things evolve the way they do. This
could obviously get very complicated and beyond the timeframe I have to
complete my project, so I'm hoping for short but potent bits of information
here. Sorry to lay such a huge question on what is generally a fairly
practical discussion list, but I need to find ways of narrowing the focus of
this idea soon.
Thanks much,
JHD

------=_Part_3234_13393247.1184167020417

Hi,<br>This is a rather conceptual question, but I am interested in trying =
to somehow represent the concept of a spiral in CLM. I figure this would pr=
obably involve the golden ratio and fibonacci series number, but I am stuck=
 as to how to begin and how this &quot;sound spiral&quot; would actually so=
und. This corresponds to my earlier question about just intonation, because=
 according to Alain Danielou ( in his book Music and the Power of Sound), t=
he circle of fifths originated from a &quot;spiral of fifths&quot;, which w=
as modified by either slightly sharping or flatting certain notes to get eq=
ual temperament for the pianoforte; just intonation, according to him, was =
a truer representation of the &quot;pure&quot; musical intervals that occur=
red in nature, so to speak. I guess my goal here is try to somehow represen=
t the concept of the spiral both melodically and rhythmically in CLM since =
this pattern seems to inform so much of how of and why things evolve the wa=
y they do. This could obviously get very complicated and beyond the timefra=
me I have to complete my project, so I&#39;m hoping for short but potent bi=